What is a Burn Wound?
- Skin burn injuries are common, very painful leading to severe distress and decreasing in quality of life.
- This acute and traumatic wound usually leads over 3 thousand Canadians a year to hospitalization.
- They can result from exposure to several possible sources, including hot water or steam, hot objects or flames, chemicals, electricity, or overexposure to the sun.
- Most skin burns are minor and can be managed at home. However, it is important to know the signs of a more serious skin burn, which should be evaluated and treated by a healthcare provider.
- Health-care professionals determine the severity of a burn based on how deep it goes and how much of the body it covers: the deeper and more widespread a burn is, the more serious it is, requiring urgent treatment.
- If you want to learn more about prevention and classification of burns click here.
- Our team of wound care specialists are highly qualified in assessment, prevention, classification and management of burns.
- We will identify risk factors that affect healing and develop a care plan that meet the needs of individuals and caregivers.
- The most important is to make sure our clients are on the right care pathway to manage symptoms (e.g., pain), accelerate wound healing and avoid wound infection.
- Our collaborative approach ensures individuals and their caregivers’ concerns and preferences are taken into consideration.
- We engage our clients and caregivers in self-care for prevention and management of symptoms to accelerate healing.
- In our first appointment a comprehensive assessment will be done to identify individuals needs and address risk factors affecting healing. Next we develop a personalized care plan based on client’s needs and informed by best practices guidelines.
- Individuals and caregivers engage in our collaborative care and will have our ongoing support from our wound care specialists through our virtual platform.
- Through our app they will be able to upload photos of the wounds any time, ask questions and connect with us from the comfort of their home.
- We provide expert recommendations and ongoing follow-ups to individuals and caregivers until wound closure.